Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's Day

“A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path.” 
- Agatha Christie

How true is this quote? This was my second mother's day and each day that passes, I am more bonded to Noah than before. My love for him is so strong that it surprises me. I never understood "the mother instinct" concept before having him and now I understand. There is a physical reaction to your child...your whole body feels pain at the thought of something happening to them.



The second night of his life, we were in the hospital. I was exhausted not having slept much at all about 36 hrs labor and visitors, etc. Noah was fussy and crying. I didn't know what to do. The nurses took him to the nursery so I could rest. I felt horrible and woke up every 1/2 hr physically panicked about where he was. I finally asked them to bring him to me but I had never experienced such physical emotions. My whole being needed to be near him -- this is biology for the nursing mom but at the time, I didn't know anything about that.


I am thankful for him and thankful that I have the privilege of being his mother. He has the most incredible smile and infectious laugh. He is generous and empathetic even at 17 months.



I am blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I don't hate comments.