Wednesday, May 19, 2010

IBCLC - Pathway 1

Decided?

for today at least.

I think I've finally decided to actively pursue becoming a lactation consultant.

Initially I was discouraged because I felt that I would need to be an RN to get any "good" jobs but I think that the demand for IBCLC's is great enough that even if I'm not an RN, I'll be okay job wise. and I can always go back for my RN or go into a graduate entry program in nursing instead. Being an LC would actually work to my advantage in the application process in that case. And since I don't have the time or money to do that right now, pursuing lactation education seems like a logical choice.

I'm passionate about breastfeeding.
I love to help other esp. women and children.

Makes sense. Why I am stalling about it kind of doesn't. I think I am afraid I won't be smart enough or people will reject my help or won't trust me... does that sound silly?

So .. in order to become a lactation consultant I need to do a bunch of different things.

1) Become a La Leche League Leader. I don't think this will be an issue... we need a group in Vergennes and I'd love to start one. The time commitment is minimal and every year of LLL service counts toward 500 clinical hours for the IBLCE (International Board Lactation Consultants Exam).


2) Take semester long classes in Anatomy and Physiology and Biology. Easily found at CCV online.

3) Complete 90 hours of education in Human Lactation and Breastfeeding.  There is an accredited distance learning program that meets all the requirements for this that would be perfect. and is only $1750.00 tuition which is incredible.

4) Complete 1000 hrs of clinical experience (two years LLL).

5) Complete continuing eduation in
  • Basic life support (e.g. CPR)
  • Medical documentation
  • Medical terminology
  • Occupational safety, including security, for health professionals
  • Professional ethics for health professionals (e.g. Code of Ethics)
  • Universal safety precautions and infection control
I actually have done CPR, Occup. Safety and Prof. Ethics as well as Universal safety at Howard Center but am unsure if they will count as "continuing ed" or not. I'll have to look into it.

I'm kind of scared to go ahead and plunge ahead into something new but I feel like I need to take the step somewhere. and the affordability of this program is so much more than any other one I could take in anything and it allows me to learn from home......

!! What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I think this sounds like a great idea!!! I am starting A&P in the fall, so if you need a study buddy let me know! (Plus I am also taking an A&P prep course over the summer) <3 Also, I can suggest and find places for your BLS, Medical doc., and Terminology! I think that it is a good idea, and if you feel it is the right decision then that is what you should do! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

I don't hate comments.